Asian Architecture

12:30 AM

This project comprises a contextual architecture study and case study paper, at which students are required to select a contextual architecture in Asia to be explored through in-depth research and investigation. It is divided into two parts as shown below.


Nishinoyama House, Kyoto

Project Part A- Contextual Architecture Study
In a group of 6, a building is to be identified within a sub-urban context in Asia. Based on our chosen building which is Nishinoyama House located in the suburb of Kyoto, Japan, an analysis is conducted on the contextual architecture elements. It includes the space organization, skyline, compression and height, form of the building, materials and systems as well as the image making elements. The findings and analysis are to be presented in an A2 visual individually by each student.


My A2 presentation

Project Part B- Case Study Paper
Second part of the project is an in-depth case study on the same building, with a specific topic and title proposed that reflect the main intention of the research. For our case, the influences of traditional Japanese culture and architecture are taken as the main focus when analysing the contemporary architecture of Nishinoyama House. The research paper is documented in a report form as shown below.



Through this project, I gained a deeper knowledge in contextual architecture within Asian context, with appropriate analyzing procedures range from collecting data to in-depth study. In a group, we learned to produce a critical interpretation of our investigation of contextual architecture on Nishinoyama House through analysis and discussion on the relationship between the architecture and its social, cultural and intellectual context.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Hello, how are you? I am from Brazil and I am studying exactly this project, would you give me the PDF file that allows me to zoom in to read it? My monitor is very small and I can't see well because the image loses quality.
    I would be immensely grateful if you answered me, already grateful for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanted to see the analysis more closely. If there is a way to send me.
    mosconileo@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. it would be of great help to be able to view and read this file of the A2 board. Would it have a PDF that allows zooming?

    ReplyDelete